On this page, we present the viable talent and glyph choices forEnhancement Shamans in World of Warcraft MoP 5.4. We detail what each of the talents andglyphs do and in which situations they should be taken.
The other pages of our Enhancement Shaman guide can be accessedfrom the table of contents on the right.
1. Talent Choices↑top
- Crowd Control
There is no longer such a thing as a default build. Most of the talents arenow viable. They can easily be changed, thanks to Dust of Disappearance(and Tomes of the Clear Mind from level 86 to 90).You will frequently find yourself changing talents and glyphs betweenencounters, in order to adapt your play style to different mechanics.Therefore, it is important to understand what each of your talents does andhow they affect your play style.
2. Tier 1 Talents↑top
Tier 1 talents have been designed with your own survival in mind.
- Nature's Guardian will proc every time you receive a damaging attackthat brings you below 30% health (although not more often than every 30 seconds).When Nature's Guardian procs, it immediately reduces your threat towards yourattacker and increases your maximum health by 25% for 10 seconds (when theeffect ends, your health percentage is preserved).
- Stone Bulwark Totem is an Earth totem on a 1-minute cooldown that grants you an absorption shield for 30 seconds.
- Astral Shift reduces damage taken by 40% for 6 seconds. It has a90-second cooldown.
Astral Shift usually is the talent of choice here. Stone Bulwark Totemis viable when you need to absorb small amounts of damage for 30 seconds and Nature's Guardian can be quite powerful in fights where you often take damagethat brings you below 30% health, but its effect has the downside of not beingcontrollable.
3. Tier 2 Talents↑top
Tier 2 talents have been designed with crowd control and utility in mind.
- Frozen Power causes your Frost Shock to also root thetarget for 5 seconds.
- Earthgrab Totem summons a totem that remains in place for 20 seconds,rooting every enemy within 10 yards for 5 seconds, after which time their movementspeed is reduced by 50% (for as long as the totem is up and the enemies are within10 yards).
- Windwalk Totem grants immunity to movement-impairing effects to all party and raid members within 40 yards. The effect lasts 6 seconds. Notethat it also removes movement-impairing effects that are already appliedon players.
Earthgrab Totem and Windwalk Totem are the best choices,depending on which one will be the most useful to your raid. Windwalk Totemis basically a raid-wide version of Hand of Freedom and can be usefulon many encounters. There often are other classes that can do a betterjob than Earthgrab Totem, so the opportunities to use it are ratherlimited.
Frozen Powersuffers from only being useful on a single target, but in that particularcase (rooting a single enemy) the short cooldown of Frost Shockmakes Frozen Power better than Earthgrab Totem.
4. Tier 3 Talents↑top
Tier 3 talents have been designed with totem cooldown and mobility in mind.
- Call of the Elements, which does not trigger the global cooldown, resetsthe cooldown of your totems that have a base cooldown shorter than 3 minutes:
- Totemic Persistence allows you to summon a second totem of thesame kind, without destroying the first. It does not work with Fire totemsand you can only have the effect active on a single kind of totemat a time. This means, that you cannot have, at the same time, two Earth totemsand two Water totems.
- Totemic Projection enables you to relocate your totems to a new location. Casting this spell does not trigger the global cooldown.
Call of the Elements should be chosen when neither of thetwo other talents can apply, although it will not work on totems that havea 3-minute cooldown.
Totemic Projection will be useful for moving your totems (mostly Searing Totem, Magma Totem, Healing Tide Totem, and Stormlash Totem) to a new location withoutspending a global cooldown for it. This talent is primarily meant forencounters with a lot of movement, although you can use it with greatsuccess to keep relocating your crowd-control totems( Capacitor Totem, Earthbind Totem, or Earthgrab Totem)as the enemies you are targeting are moving out of the area of effect.
Totemic Persistence may be situationally useful, for example whenyou want to use Stone Bulwark Totem without sacrificing yourEarth Totem slot for utility.
5. Tier 4 Talents↑top
Tier 4 talents have been designed to improve your performance.
- Elemental Mastery increases your haste by 30% for 20 seconds. Ithas a 90-second cooldown.
- Ancestral Swiftness gives your next Nature spell an instant cast. It hasa 1-minute cooldown. Ancestral Swiftness also passively increases your spell haste by 5% and your melee haste by 10%.
- Echo of the Elements gives you a chance to duplicate your spells that dodirect damage or healing.
Ancestral Swiftness and Elemental Mastery are the talents ofchoice for single-target DPS. Use Ancestral Swiftness when you needsustained damage. Use Elemental Mastery when you need burst damage.
Echo of the Elements is close to the other two talents for single-targetDPS, but we still advise you to save it for situations where sustained, heavyAoE damage is required.
6. Tier 5 Talents↑top
Tier 5 talents give you a new healing cooldown or a new healing mechanics.
- Rushing Streams causes your Healing Stream Totem to heal two targetsat once for 15% additional healing.
- Ancestral Guidance causes you to heal up to 3 nearby injured party orraid members for 40% of the direct damage or 60% of the direct healing you do for 10 seconds. Thisability has a 2-minute cooldown.
- Conductivity is a passive ability that causes you to increase the durationof Healing Rain when you cast direct healing and damaging spells. However,this cannot cause Healing Rain to last longer than 40 seconds.
Ancestral Guidance is the best talent in this tier.
Healing Stream Totem is too weak for Enhancement Shamans to justifytaking Rushing Streams. Conductivity comes at the cost of DPS,which means that you should only take it if your healers are struggling,and if the raid is stacked and taking sustained, high damage.
7. Tier 6 Talents↑top
- Unleashed Fury upgrades your Unleash Elements, whichwill increase the damage you do with Lightning Bolt by 30% for 10seconds and grant your melee auto attacks a chance to trigger Static Shock for 8 seconds.
- Primal Elementalist causes your Earth Elemental Totem and Fire Elemental Totem to deal 80% more damage. They become regular pets(although they are not permanent) with abilities.
- The Earth Elemental automatically casts Angered Earth, Pulverize, and Harden Skin. If you instruct it to, it will channel Reinforce on you, which will decrease the damage you take by 20% and increase the healing you do by 10%.
- The Fire Elemental automatically casts Fire Blast, Fire Nova, and Immolate. If you instruct it to, it will channel Empower on you, which will increase the damage you deal by 5% and increase the healing you do by 10%.
- Elemental Blast is on a 12-second cooldown and will enable youto maintain a 66% uptime on a buff that changes randomly each time you refreshit: +3500 Critical Strike Rating, +3500 Haste Rating, or +3500 Mastery Rating.For Enhancement Shamans, the buff can also be +3500 Agility.The ability also deals a bit of damage every time you use it.
The relative value of the talents changes with your gear:
Even at gear levels where Elemental Blast is best, using it complicatesthe rotation, as it gives an additional ability to manage (while the other twotalents simply enhance existing abilities).
Note that when using Primal Elementalist, it is usually not worthusing Empower from your Fire Elemental (more on thatin the rotation page).
8. Major Glyphs↑top
Below, you will find the glyphs that can improve your DPS, in specific situations.
- Glyph of Chain Lightning causes your Chain Lightning spell tostrike 2 additional targets, but it deals 10% less initial damage. This glyph isa significant DPS increase if your Chain Lightning hits 4 or 5 targets.
- Glyph of Fire Elemental Totem reduces the cooldown and duration of your Fire Elemental Totem by 50%. This means that your Fire Elemental Totem willhave a duration of 30 seconds (down from 1 minute) and a cooldown of 2 minutes and30 seconds (down from 5 minutes). This glyph may be situationally useful ina fight that does not allow you to DPS uninterrupted for 1 minute. Prior to Patch 5.4,this glyph was more potent, because it gave your Fire Elemental Totem a 3-minutecooldown, allowing you to line it up with other cooldowns.
- Glyph of Fire Nova increases the radius of your Fire Novaspell by 5 yards, bringing it to 15 yards (this means a 125% increase toFire Nova's area of effect). This glyph will be useful inAoE situations where the enemies are loosely stacked.
- Glyph of Grounding Totem turns Grounding Toteminto a damaging ability that reflects a harmful spell back to itscaster.
Finally, there are major glyphs that bring more utility to your spells.
- Glyph of Capacitor Totem reduces the charging time of your Capacitor Totem by 2 seconds. This means that it will stun allenemies within 8 yards after 3 seconds (instead of 5 seconds, without theglyph). This can be useful if a pack of enemies needs to be controlledrapidly.
- Glyph of Feral Spirit increases the healing done toyou by your Feral Spirits' Spirit Hunt by 40%. That is to say,Spirit Hunt will now heal you for 210% of the damage done (instead ofonly 150% without the glyph). This glyph will be a default choicewhen none of the other glyphs can be put to use.
- Glyph of Flame Shock causes Flame Shock to heal you for30% of the damage it deals.
- Glyph of Ghost Wolf makes you less susceptible to movement-hinderingeffects while in Ghost Wolf form. This glyph can be useful in fightswhere you have to travel through areas that slow your movement speed.
- Glyph of Healing Storm causes each stack of Maelstrom Weaponto increase the healing you do by 20%. It will double the healing that Healing Surge does (provided you cast itwith 5 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon).
- Glyph of Healing Stream Totem adds a damage reduction componentto your Healing Stream Totem spell, which can be useful if your raidwill be taking Fire, Frost, or Nature damage when you need touse Healing Stream Totem. Even though the damage reduction componentis applied on both targets, when you take Rushing Streams, itdoes not justify taking that talent over the other Tier 5 talents.
- Glyph of Lightning Shield causes you to take 10% less damage for 6 secondsevery time your Lightning Shield is triggered. Note that Static Shockcannot trigger this damage reduction.
- Glyph of Hex reduces the cooldown of Hex by 10 seconds,which can be useful if you are assigned to crowd-controlling adds.
- Glyph of Purge causes your Purge spell to remove1 additional Magic effect from an enemy target, but adds a 6-secondcooldown. It can come in handy ifyour raid ever needs to simultaneously remove 2 Magic effects from a boss.Note that in most cases, it may be better to just let Mages Spellstealthe effects.
- Glyph of Purging grants you a stack of Maelstrom Weapon whenever you successfully Purge a target.This may be situationally useful during encounters where hostile targets have effects that can be dispelled.
- Glyph of Shamanistic Rage causes your Shamanistic Rageability to also cleanse you from all dispellable harmful Magic effects.There will no doubt be encounters where this will come in handy.
- Glyph of Spirit Walk reduces the cooldown of Spirit Walk from 1 minutes to 45 seconds. This cansometimes be useful if you need to remove movement-impairing effects every45 seconds. This glyph is also useful if you just the movement speed increaseprovided by Spirit Walk more frequently.
- Glyph of Wind Shear increases the cooldown of Wind Shearby 3 seconds, but increases the school lockout duration it causeson the target. This glyph can be useful if having a 15-second cooldownon Wind Shear will not hinder your interrupting duties.
9. Minor Glyphs↑top
Minor glyphs are mostly cosmetic, although there are twoof them that might be situationally useful.
- 10 Sep. 2013: Patch 5.4 update.
- 19 May 2013: Patch 5.3 update: removed Glyph of Unleashed Lightning and added Glyph of Lightning Shield.
- 05 Apr. 2013: Removed mention of Glyph of Healing Storm havingan interaction with Conductivity (this is not the case).
- 04 Apr. 2013: Big update following review from Purge.
- 27 Mar. 2013: Updated description of Nature's Guardian to properly reflect the Patch 5.2 change.
- 09 Mar. 2013: Patch 5.2 update.